1.27.2010

Geraldine Swayne & The Art of Murder

A bit late, but if you hurry you can see Geraldine Swayne tonight the 27th Jan 2010 at 6.30pm at the
Institute of Germanic & Romance Studies, Room ST 275(School of Advanced Study, Stewart House, 32 Russell Square, WC1B 5DN London).

This series of seminars acts as a forum for practicing artists, researchers, curators, students, and others interested in visual culture who are invited to present, discuss and explore a given theme within the broad field of Visual Culture.

Geraldine On Painting Murder:

”I’ve made a lot of work about murders, not because I necessarily want to make pictures of the act but because I am interested in the atmosphere of murder scenes; the way terror distorts reality and the moment when the soul leaves the body.
I became interested in murder as a child and still hold childish supernatural beliefs about murder being a crime against nature, (and hence the universe), changing murderers into monsters and turning blossom to ash.
The resonance of murders, (particularly of young women), passes through me like a kind of medium. When I paint a murderer, what I am asking is: once you’ve killed, have you committed another murder on your own soul; and if you have, can I see it in your eyes?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.